5 October 2021 | By Lending People
Six home improvements that will add the most value
Want to sell your home? We've got some tips to maximise its value. A small investment now can offer a big return later. Need a loan? We can help with that
Thinking about selling your home? A few home improvements can do a lot to maximise its value. The trick is to make sure you’re spending your money wisely! Here are six home improvements that can generate maximum returns without breaking the bank.
You’ve probably heard about the importance of “street appeal”. Since the entrance provides the first impression of a home, it can make a big difference to potential buyers. Improving street appeal can be as easy as adding some pot plants and painting the front door. Make weeding, mowing the lawn and trimming the hedges a priority too—a little care and maintenance go a long way to spruce up a garden, and costs next-to-nothing!
Kiwis love a bit of outdoor entertaining, so if you’re willing to invest a little more cash, this is a good place to put it. If you don’t already have one, consider adding an inviting deck or putting some pavers down. Paint a picture for potential buyers—"imagine a BBQ with your friends and family here!”
Other worthwhile improvements include:
· A garden shed
· Planter boxes—who doesn’t love a veggie patch?
· Established plants or trees—unlike other home improvements, gardens tend to get better with age. You can cheat a little by buying mature plants, otherwise, be sure to give yourself enough time for them to grow a bit.
Kitchens are focal points of homes and an area where people spend a lot of time. A full kitchen reno is pricey, so may not give you the best return, but there are still plenty of affordable updates you can do that will make a big difference!
· Update your benchtop
· Re-surface the cupboards
· Replace cupboard and drawer handles
· Get a new splash back
· Replace the fixtures and fittings—matt black and copper are very popular right now!
Bathrooms are another area of the home which can really impress a potential buyer. If you can work with the current layout, you won’t have to pay a plumber. Once again, cosmetics are an affordable way to pack a punch.
· Replace the fixtures and fittings—did we mention how popular matt black is?
· Add a heated towel rail or replace your current one with a more modern design
· Hang a nice mirror
· Get one or two nice houseplants
#4: Fresh paint
It’s amazing what a fresh lick of paint can do to transform a room! If your walls are looking a little worn, or you haven’t updated the colour in the last decade, it might be time to get out the paint roller. If you’re going to go down this track, be sure to pick a neutral colour—fuchsia might not be everyone’s cup of tea!
Having stuff everywhere detracts from the actual home. It can be hard for people to imagine themselves living in a place when they can’t actually see it! Plus, clutter tends to make a house look smaller than it really is. Improving your storage solutions may not sound exciting, but it’ll get a practical-minded buyer pretty jazzed!
· Make cupboards and wardrobes as functional as they can be—you’d be surprised what a difference a couple of shelves can make
· Exposed shelves in the kitchen or in living areas are great to give things like books, plants and nice serving ware a home—just don’t crowd them!
· Consider dual-purpose solutions, for instance a built-in bench seat with storage underneath
· Tiny homes are full of clever storage solutions—a quick Google, Pinterest or Instagram search will fill you with inspiration
· If you’ve still got some spillover, invest in a few storage bins. You can keep these in the garage or under your bed—and they’re easy to throw in the car if you need to tidy things up for an open home!
Updating the décor in your home can change the whole look of a place. Find some nice artwork, invest in a few houseplants, update your couch cushions, heck you can even update your couch. The best part about new furnishings is that you can take them with you when you leave!
How are those inspiration levels? Ready to reno? Paintbrushes at the ready? If you need a helping hand with the funds to get moving, we offer personal loans from as little as $1,000 all the way up to $150,000. We work with a range of New Zealand’s most trusted lenders, offering interest rates starting as low as 6.95 %pa *"
With an entirely online process, we make lending a breeze, offering initial decisions within 60 seconds. Apply online today and see what we can offer you. Anything’s possible, including the kitchen sink.